So, when can my babies eat bugs and treats?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bronwyn, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I know they are only about a week old, but I want to know when I can start giving them more variety in their diet. I'm a little worried about them getting enough of all the proteins and minerals they need. I'm feeding them the right food, but still... It's also too cold outside for them right now, but could I bring in some bugs for them?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. GiantDogs+Ducks

GiantDogs+Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't know much, but I started hand-feeding finely chopped lettuce and borage from day 3. I've waited to mix in the more complex fruits and veggies until recently. My Runners are now 3.5 weeks and seem to be doing great.

3. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I started giving my runners a teaspoon of chick grit a day in their food from the time they were two or three days old. They need grit to be able to "chew" their food, or they risk getting impacted. So get them some grit in their diet, just a little at a time, before giving them chewable foods (non-crumbles).

At two weeks I started adding grower to the starter crumble, mixing a little more grower and a little less starter every day for a few weeks till we were out of crumble and the ducklings were on grower.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you!

6. GiantDogs+Ducks

GiantDogs+Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Alpharetta, GA
    Scratch this... My runners have shaky legs now. Don't listen to me! LOL

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Get some non flush niacin and start putting it in your runner water, or sprinkle some brewers yeast[not baking] on their feed. that will take care of the leg problems. The brewers yeast is what i used about 1tab to their feed each day. the niacin I don't know the dosage since I've never used it.
    http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by