So when do I need to put them outside??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clay In Iowa, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I have 3 week old Black copper Marans and Amaraucanas in a brooder together, 9 total. They have plenty of room for chicks their size, about 2 square feet per bird. Last night I was watching them. I can already tell the hens from the cocks (which I'm amazed at, again they are 3 weeks old) and obviously so can they. lol

One of the BCM cocks decided to square off against the Amaraucana cock. I was amazed at how these two went at it. In the end the Amaraucana cock grabbed the BCM cock by the back of the head and slammed his face into the floor. The BCM chick retreated with haste. The Amaraucana chick strutted around spitting fuzz out of his mouth. You could almost hear him.. "EAT IT FRENCHY.... NEXT!!!"

The hens are really busy establishing a pecking order as well. They just aren't quite so violent about it.

When should I put them outside? I realize establishing a pecking will happen if there is more than one bird ... in the world. [​IMG] But I'd like to prevent any major damage here.

Do I need more brooder space?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Really, the best time is usually after four to six weeks old, when they are almost fully feathered, but at that age, in your area, I would provide a heat source for them in case they become a bit chilly. Ive put them out earlier, but with two heat lamps.

3. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    So when they are almost fully feathers is good. I have chicks that were one week yesterday. So around 4 to 6 weeks is good?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Only if they have heat this time of year. The usual wisdom is 6-8 weeks, but it depends on the weather in your area and if you have supplemental heat out there.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If you can provide them with a draftfree, and warm enough area the answer is 3 WEEKS AGO, they never need to be in the house they just need to be protected from the elements till thier feathers are in enough to keep them warm. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Chicks can go out at any time you can provide them with draft-free, predator proof housing that is kept to the temp. needed for their age.
    My chicks weren't brooded in the house. They were in a safe shed with a heater and their heat lamps for their first week and just with the heat lamps after that.

7. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Okay thank you so much for this information. I have a good feeling they are going to out grow our current brooder in a week or two.

Wehn you put them in the outside coop you just need to make sure that they don't go outside right? Or can you let them out?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What you have to do is make sure they don't get chilled. I took my chicks out on warm, non-windy days when they were two weeks old. Only for very short periods of time and only with constant supervision. The minute a chick started showing signs of being cold, back under their heat lamp they went.

9. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    We had temps around zero here last night. I'd be pretty worried if I put them outside all might even with a good heat lamp. (can you tell I'm new at this) [​IMG]

They are currently in a brooder with one lamp and have the ability to get far enough away from it to see temps around 55 degrees. So they are really packing on the feathers right now. Maybe in a few weeks I'll feel more comfy about putting them out, even if they aren't woo thrilled about it.

Maybe in our garage, no drafts but otherwise unheated with a couple of lamps.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Well if you put it that way the answer is You will put them outside, when you notice that everthing that comes within 100 feet of your chicken immeadiatly has a coating of chicken dust on it, even the dog will start to look dusty if he doesnt run through the house, that is when the time will be right to move them out. A year from now when you go to have your second batch the fond memmories of chicken dust still being discovered months after the babies have been outside will remind you why the next batch gets brooded outside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by