SO.... when should these kinds of chicken start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smokeykk, Aug 2, 2011.

1. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have 5 different breeds, and all of them are from 2 1/2 months to 3 1/2 months old.
    My question is when will..
    New Hampshires
    Polish
    Silkies
    Production Red
    and
    Buff Orps
    start laying?
    Any and all help is appreciated!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Laying age varies even among pullets of the same breed anywhere from about 18 weeks on, with most laying by 26 weeks. Your biggest indicators will be when their combs/wattles start to grow and turn red. You might even notice some of them starting to squat for you when you walk close to them. Once they are squatting, the first egg is generally within about two weeks.

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well one of my New Hampshires (the oldest) looks like her wattles are growing, but no squat yet, Can't wait, it's my first time with chickens and I want my first egg!!!!! [​IMG]

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've read on here of New Hampshires laying at 18 weeks. However, mine is 24 weeks today - and still no egg. So it varies from pullet to pullet within the same breed.

5. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Carol, Thank you for that insight!! My BO is about 23-24 weeks old and absolutely nothing!!! My oldest RIR hasn't laid in about a month now! Since July 3rd was the lsat eggs I received from her. ugh!

6. PapiChoso

PapiChoso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Lawrenceville, VA
    I feel your pain. My chickens are 18 weeks, and I'm so antsy I can hardly contain myself. My wife keeps telling me to be patient, but I'm excited! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by