So when you get your chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momagain1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    DONT LAUGH lol..I'm feeling pretty stupid asking anyway...

but honestly; never having purchased chicks before...

when you rec've them are they marked what breed they are????

cause I'll be getting an extra one or two..and definitely wont know what THOSE are lol...

or should I just post pics here...I wish they had li'l ribbons or markers lol or something..

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Well, I was looking at your signurture and you should pretty much be able to tell your breeds with what you have listed. If you don't know you certainly can post pics and see if someone can help you out!! [​IMG]

ETA: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry just HAD to laugh!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:smartypants lol..

I figured i'd know the turkens..those ugly li'l things lol...
    but the others i'd probably have to look and cross reference them..because I honestly dont know what they look like as chicks..I'll check into it..I will :)

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:smartypants lol..

I figured i'd know the turkens..those ugly li'l things lol...
    but the others i'd probably have to look and cross reference them..because I honestly dont know what they look like as chicks..I'll check into it..I will :)

Yes, I'm sure you'll be able to tell the little ugly turkens!! [​IMG]

Here's a couple pics of day olds!

The 2 all the way to the right that have yellow on the chest is Black Astralops!

[​IMG]

The 2 to the right are RIR's. I bought them as red sex links and then later bought 4 older RIR's and I can't tell the difference in them now!!

[​IMG]

This last pic are of Barred Rock Pullets! But they were older. I have chick pics on my pc at home!!

[​IMG]

And that's all I have that you have listed!!

HTH

6. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    some hatcheries CAN put markers on your chicks so you know what they are (Ideal does) but i'm pretty sure that marker comes in the form of a brightly colored dot on their head...which takes a while to go away and IMO it's ugly!! LOL. I don't think it'll be too difficult to figure out the breeds.

We got our order last week which included 8 different breeds and I spent some time beforehand looking at/printing pics of baby chicks. By the time they arrived I knew who's who right off the bat. Good luck with your little babies!! and post pics when you get them!!

7. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I just got my chick order last Friday. I could tell the Black Marans, the Salmon Favorell's but the Welsummer and the Speckled Sussex chicks look almost identical as chicks. The hatchery marked a red line on the chest of the Speckled Sussex to tell them apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by