So where do I order from...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by whitejerabias, Dec 11, 2011.

1. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    ... if I only want a dozen, and a variety of breeds? I looked quickly at one of the hatcheries' websites and it seemed that I could only order chicks in 25 count orders. It also looked as if I wouldn't be able to pick and choose breeds. Is there anywhere I can order single chicks and choose the breeds.

And of course this would be no good posting without telling you the breeds I want:
    Lakenvelder
    Sussex
    Wyandotte
    Easter Eggers
    Welsummer
    Faverolles
    Ameraucana
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben

But I might only have picked those because that are preeeetty. I sort of forgot that I need docile and egg production. Whoops!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    meyers hatchery or mypetchicken you can [​IMG]

3. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x 2... I've ordered small numbers, with a variety of breeds from both of them.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    You can order from Ideal with a $25 minimum, there is no minimum on chicks. If you only order a few, they will send you extra rooster chicks, but you can pay a little extra to have them not do that...I know My Pet Chicken is pretty expensive, I don't know if Ideal will come out any cheaper once you add in all the fees for small order/no extra roosters. They've got all those breeds though.

5. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    my pet chicken is the place i order smaller amounts. you will pay more for shipping because they express mail them if it's a small amount. i have some coming in march and may can't wait. i ordered faverolles, ancona, australorp, white and buff silkies, white sultan and spitzhauben.. they have a great selection...

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My Pet Chicken ships you Meyer birds - go with Meyer and avoid the extra cost from MPC.

I have had great success with shipping (early spring and late summer) from Meyer, no DOAs... great layers and healthy, lively birds.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:x 2... I've ordered small numbers, with a variety of breeds from both of them.

X3

8. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is true, but MPC will sex bantams if that is what you are interested in.

9. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    I was looking on Meyers and MPC last night, luckily it is all coming out less expensive that I thought. Not knowing anything about chickens and costs I figured appx $5/chick. While you say these are the more pricey of the hatcheries, they are still coming out less than I'd budgeted for. So when I pick my flock I need to go through and match up the availability dates, right? What are the pros/cons to what time of year you get the chicks? I want to start raising them this spring, but some that I really want are not available until May (specifically Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, wow those are some pretty birds).

Where on this forum do I go to ask questions about adding to an already established flock?

10. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I oredered some blrw from meyers since i didnt see you could get them at mpc. I want to get my chicks when its not to cold. Thats why i chose april. Its a long wait but i want to make sure my chicks come nice and healthy. [​IMG]
    And i think you should ask in managing your flock area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by