So who has horses as well? ducks & horses question//

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I keep hearing about salmonella risk with having ducks and horses so thought i'd inquire. We intend on free ranging our 4 ducks when there older.. but am i endangering the horses? [​IMG] We're not a big place but do have 7 acres so they should be able to not be 'on top' of one another...

Like i don't have enough to worry about with predators trying to make lunch of my ducks i am now concerned they can hurt the horses.. [​IMG] somebody reassure me please. [​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have mini horses as well as ponies. My ducks and geese share a pasture with them. I do keep the call ducks in their own pen and lock them up at night safe from predators. Never worried about the salmonella risk? Ignorance is bliss! Seriously I have not had a problem yet and my geese share a water trough with 2 of my dwarf mini horses. I keep the water clean and the pen raked and picked up. Hope this answered any concerns you have.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I keep my ducks isolated from my horses. I don't know how much risk there is but there's no sense in taking that kind of a chance.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thank you! you have minis? how cool, that's what we have to. Yeah, i never gave it a thought either but then you start hearing the ol' dreaded talk of, oh i know so & so who lost some horses because of the salmonella etc.. etc.. [​IMG] Since ours will free range eventually they may go into one of the fields but since there is tons of room and we intend on building the duck house closer to our house(ie; closer to the dogs) than the barn.. i'm not sure how much direct contact they'd have with them anyways.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:so you don't free range then, i take it? I'm uncertain whether i can properly pen 4 muscovy... it would have to be huge if they were not allowed to be loose... [​IMG]

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I have ducks, chickens and horses... haven't worried.
    Many, Many people have ponds in their pastures with ducks on them... never heard anything negative...

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thanks for your input. A friend of my mothers boarded horses & had muscovy... there was never an issue and the majority of the horses weren't obviously even owned by them. I was suprised to hear of it being a concern to be honest. [​IMG]

8. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    We have ducks, chickens, geese and horses. I have two "free range" ducks but for the most part they tend to stay up by the house (they like the squirrel food). I do have seperate water tanks for the ducks and the horses. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable having my horses drink the nasty duck water. Heck I'm not sure I feel comfortable having the ducks drink their nasty water.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Oh yes i don't want them drinking from the troughs either. Heck when the lab was a pup her getting into them was bad enough [​IMG] We'll offer plenty of water suitable for just them and more accessible.

10. Fowel Frenzy

Fowel Frenzy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    LARAMIE, WYOMING
    I agree-- Ignorance was Bliss

OK so--I'm new at the Ducks, Horses & Chickens thing...at least all together. I hadn't thought about there being a problem since virtually everyone around me has all manner of livestock all together. Horses, ducks, sheep, goatsetc. I'm betting as long as common sense cleanliness is observed things would be fine. I'' follow this to see what other feedback comes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by