So, whoever said Free Range chcickens may be laying elsewhere.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    was right.
    These girls picked our junkyard area. DH is a contractor and we have an area on our property which he calls *material storage* and I call *Sanford and Son*. Anyway, I provide the ladies with sweet little nesting boxes
    [​IMG]

and this is where they decide they want to lay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have no idea how long the eggs have been there, but based on size, I'm thinking it was different hens?

So, we dumped the eggs, but I'll start checking there no daily.
    Crazy or normal for chcikens?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Silly girls, but normal! Maybe lock them up for a bit so they have to lay in their nest boxes and maybe they will like the idea!! [​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It's true, they lay where they want until you teach them otherwise.
    After my hens came off the broody nests and raised some chicks they decided to start laying under the steps of the tack room. I had to lock them up in the coop for a few days but they went back in everyday after I let them back out to put the eggs where they belonged....in the nest boxes.
    Some girls may take longer to break the habit than others, so I have heard. And you can use golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay where they are supposed to but they always have a favorite box in the coop that everyone wants to lay in![​IMG]

4. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    when we first got our hens (all adult and laying already) they were laying all over the pen, I picked up the eggs and eventually they learned to use the boxes. I saw my friends' free-range hens lay anywhere -- on top of the grill, in random boxes, workshed countertops--and I knew I didn't want an egg hunt everyday;)

5. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    When I found a community nest my hens had made I did'nt throw out the eggs. I broke them open-outside-they were all good. I then scrambled them up for a treat for the hens. If you free range they well make nests in other locations.
    Know about what your average egg production is and when it drops then you can figure that you got a nest somewere. I just watch the girls and they will show me where it is.

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I heard that most laying is done in the morning..Wouldnt it help to keep them locked up til around 11am then let them out? then maybe most of the eggs will have been laid in the coop?? Just a suggestion..

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    1 - put some golf balls or wooden eggs in the nesting boxes

2 - keep the girls in the coop until at least a couple have laid

3 - check the "stash" area regularly

4 - test eggs in water for freshness. They may be fine to eat. Search BYC for the guidelines.

8. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:Thanks! I'll put these tips into play. Now that I know they actually are laying! I also will research the egg freshness tests. I hated to dump those beautiful eggs yesterday.

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I love the pics! They made me chuckle! Only because I have been there done that! In my case they were in a coop and run!! I have a back hatch where I check for eggs so I do not go in the coop every day. I had noticed a drop in production so I decided to investigate and the girls decided that one of the coop corners were better that the nesting boxes!! Now I check inside everyday!!

10. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Looks like one of them was trying to hatch an oak tree! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by