So who's noisier -- call ducks or guineas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lceh, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    In terms of general obnoxiousness to non-poultry-owning neighbors, are call ducks or guineas potentially more irritating? I'm thinking not only in terms of sheer volume, but also frequency of chatter. Just curious. We want to be thoughtful neighbors.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I have both and my husband would say they are equally loud and very annoying! [​IMG]

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    guineas. definitely guineas.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Guineas!! My husband refered to them as the "Air Raid Sirens" My nephew has wild ones up in NJ and he calls the the "Security Force" I had to get rid of them because they made so much noise

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Both bad, Guineas worse.

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Guineas, absolutely! Though I rather like the sound, myself. I have thought about getting a few Guineas.

If you want quiet Calls, get a group of single drakes. They are very colorful and hushed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    You know, I thought of bachelor calls, but wasn't sure if a group of drakes would coexist. Could we just get 3 boys and keep them without females?

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Yes, and they will generally get along most happily. At certain times of the year they might or might not scrap a bit, but you can see that happen with any birds; I have several pens of bachelor drakes who do quite well together. I even have ones that have been in breeding pens with females and they get along well with other males when put back into bachelor pens as long as they don't have females to fight over. Calls are very social and will often sleep together in little piles to stay cozy. I only have one pen that gets riled up, but they only get that way when I let a bunch of ducks out free around their pen, and understandably so: they want out too! Three boys, especially if they have been raised together, will likely do fine; always expect an initial pecking-order sorting out if they don't.

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Guineas Xs 10!!

10. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:I'll second that [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010