So, why ARE call ducks hard to hatch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fogbubble, Jan 27, 2010.

1. fogbubble

fogbubble Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Western NC
    I got mixed up previously and stated that calls are hard to raise. It was quickly pointed out that they're not hard to RAISE, just HATCH. Why is that? Low fertility, fragile eggs, extreme temperature sensitivity, or something else I haven't thought of? I'll be getting an incubator soon and might try hatching some eggs unless I get some nice birds sooner.
    Just curious,
    Shannon

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Some think it's because the good quality calls have short bills which I guess the thinking is the small bill makes it harder to pip and zip. Mine are pretty good quality with nice short bills for the most part. I never had very good luck hatching them, but my hens hatch them out with no problems so that makes me think the bill length probably isn't the issue. I think it's probably more to do to with the humidity, but I don't know for sure.

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They are just hard to hatch...not really sure why. Many make it and pip, but then die before hatching. They are tiny and weak and with such a small bill it is hard to break the egg and zip.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You beat me to it Katy...

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It's the same with silky ducks, everything supposedly goes wrong at hatch. I think you're right about the humidity, Katy. Dave Holderread told me the same thing.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i thought they had that "lethal gene" that caused only a certain % to hatch???

ETA: perhaps its the crested... ?

(im asking not saying)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Who has the lethal gene? Silky ducks or call ducks?

8. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Who has the lethal gene? Silky ducks or call ducks?

I thought all bantam ducks did, but now that im reading more, the ones with crests carry it. "The crested gene in these ducks is linked to a lethal condition during incubation, Ducklings carrying both genes (homozygous) for the crest do not survive to hatch. " (feathersite)

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I believe I have read that when breeding the cresteds, only one parent should display the crested trait, for that very reason. Never tried crested calls yet, though I would like to. We'll see how my regular whites pan out first.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Crested ducks or chickens are more likely to have mortality issues.

I've had hens have 100% or very close to it hatches many times.

ETA.....these are not crested.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by