So will the mother quail care for their young?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Che, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    I hatched two quails several months ago and lucky I had one male and one female. Well they began mating and laying eggs but she wouldn't sit on them so I incubated the eggs. 18 days latter they hatched, which is today and I was wondering would she care for her young or will she reject them if put them together? I have 3 babies.

1st quails Male:Yellow one Female:Black/ Brown
    [​IMG]

1st quails grown
    [​IMG]

the 2nd babies (sorry the photo isn't that great)
    [​IMG]

2. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    nope. with any animal they have to get in the mood for it (go broody) and if she didn't then she wont have a bond with these babies, neither will they bond to her.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    She will not care for them unless she is broody. And even then not always.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    what is broody? and how does it happen?

5. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    and how can you tell if she is broody?

6. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Generally Coturnix quail do not go broody. OCCASIONALY someone may come across one who does,but it's basically a 1 in a 1,000,000.000 chance.Broody is when they decide to set on and hatch their own eggs,such as chickens.Coturnix are more just an egg/meat production bird and have no interests in setting.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    All animals have innate instincts and chickens are no exception. One of the strongest instinctive behaviours that chickens display is broodiness. Broodiness is a cyclical phase that many hens go through from time to time. A broody hen has an overwhelming motherly desire to sit on and incubate her eggs, with a view to hatching them and mothering a brood of baby chicks.

Generally they will gather eggs and sit on them and growl and not want to move off them ever. Then when they hatch she will take care of them.

Coturnix VERY rarely go broody.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Would a broody chicken raise baby quail? Just wondering...[​IMG]

9. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    she started growling last week but those eggs were in the incubator already. I was wondering why she kept doing that and I kept taking those eggs after she laid them I thought it was just a territorial thing.....that was a stupid mistake I guess

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

"Che" :

she started growling last week but those eggs were in the incubator already. I was wondering why she kept doing that and I kept taking those eggs after she laid them I thought it was just a territorial thing.....that was a stupid mistake I guess

Was she sitting on them though?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by