so winter.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Che, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    So do I need to do anything for the winter months in order for my quails to survive? Any advice anyone?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:they should be fine for the most part, you can add a red heat bulb in there for them if you really want to. but your in the south so they will be fine

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am not familiar with NC. But if you see temps below freezing, then you might want to offer your quail an enclosure that is out of the wind, snow or rain. If your climate is a bit more mild, then an occasional tarp over your pen might be enough.

4. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    yea the coldest it gets here is 20F that is usually rare though just like anything under it. I think last year the coldest day was one in 18F

5. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'm winter proofing my quail cage this coming week before it get's too cold. It's still a warm fall here in KY but we had one bad unexpected cold front last month and I lost my oldest quial from it and one of my late chicks. So I'm thinking maybe you should do some preparing.

I'll be boarding off some of the runs corners to block wind and I'm running a small light into their coop, so they are all toasty all through the cold, but my quail are all very small button mixes so it's up to you to risk what your gonna do or not. But really all birds need some good winter preparing in their runs and coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by