So worried about re-integrating my BO back after an attack! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    My "ex" roo ripped her comb almost off and the other girls jumped on her at the sight of the blood--otherwise they'd never faught...been together since birth...even thought she was always weird---like she doesnt "roost" she prefers to sleep in the "coop" area and not roost with the others...she's almost always done this though (will be 2 in march)

NOW, i got rid of the roo--things feel calmer..she's healed but just weird...she gets so nervous at EVERYthing and follows me constantly...is seperated by a fence so they can see her "when she leaves the porch" but i'm just worried sick about their re-integration ((ironically the main bully was one of HER grown babies!?))

OH and the best...so i cant just "put her to roost after dark" with them b/c she doesnt sleep there? You know? UGh

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just keep her in your home if she feels protection with you and let her heal

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    we've been doing that and she's healed up comb wise...i just worry the longer we wait the worse it'll be...and honestly, she's always been very passive...i cant see her just growing a pair and not being passive if we wait a month? That's what im worried about [​IMG]

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    She may be at the bottom of the pecking order you can keep her separated from the other hens and find a more nicer roo for her

5. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    i've actually been looking for a nicer roo and maybe after quarentine puttin him with her for a little and THEN re-integrating them BOTH? so maybe he'll defend her? [​IMG] Lol...idk!

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

i've actually been looking for a nicer roo and maybe after quarentine puttin him with her for a little and THEN re-integrating them BOTH? so maybe he'll defend her? [​IMG] Lol...idk!

That might not be a bad idea, then he won't be so lonely, and you'll know if he's got something that is likely to affect the rest of your flock, she would likely pick it up. But there's no guarantee with anything.

You could also put her in a dog crate in the run with the others, so they get used to having her right there, and she's more used to being around them. Try that for a couple days, then let her loose with the others while you supervise. Some pecking is going to be expected, she needs to re-establish a place in the flock, but hopefully a slow re-introduction will reduce the likelihood of bloodshed.​

7. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Quote:That might not be a bad idea, then he won't be so lonely, and you'll know if he's got something that is likely to affect the rest of your flock, she would likely pick it up. But there's no guarantee with anything.

You could also put her in a dog crate in the run with the others, so they get used to having her right there, and she's more used to being around them. Try that for a couple days, then let her loose with the others while you supervise. Some pecking is going to be expected, she needs to re-establish a place in the flock, but hopefully a slow re-introduction will reduce the likelihood of bloodshed.

That's what I was thinking...hoping...we got a cage yesterday to put her in there with them in...they weren't horrible when i suppervised at almost nightfall yesterday...how come its easier to talk about then DO!? [​IMG] lol thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by