So, would you do it??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PamB, Jul 29, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I was thinking of spending the night away from home. My chickens are in a coop with a very secure run around it. They have been in there for a year and we've had no preditor incidents at all. Not even evidence of digging around the run. So, I'm wondering how many of you would leave the chickens overnight? This would mean that they would be in their coop (they go in on their own when it gets dark) but with the pop door open (they are silkies and sleep practically IN the pop door just inside the coop). I have forgotten to close the pop door twice in the past year and it was fine. However, to intentionally leave it open all night when I am away seems like it may be irresponsible of me. I don't want to lock them in the coop for that period of time, so this is really my only option...other than just staying home.

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    It depends on whether or not your run is covered. If it is not covered, I would lock the chx in the coop, but if it is covered, I'd let them have access to it. Also, in the long run you are better off putting a skirt of hardware cloth around your run, so that nothing can dig its way in, even if it tries. Then you can go away for weeks without a worry.

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Oh, there is a skirt...sorry, I should have described the run better. It is covered completely in welded wire, including the top, and has two feet of hardware cloth around the bottom, plus a skirt.

ETA: The skirt is buried a bit, so that is what I meant by seeing no evidence of digging (if that makes sense).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I'd leave them, but that is just me

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    i think you would be ok for one night, is there anyone that could come check on them or lock them up for the night? I have an electric pop door so I dont have these worries. My run is also covered with welded wire and then shade cloth on top of that with a 1 ft skirt. No evidence of anything even trying to get in for the 6 months they have been out there.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think they'll be fine if you leave them. It's only 1 night and the coop sounds very secure. JMHO. [​IMG]

7. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    i would leave them they sound like they are secure so it should be fine. i made my coop completely sealed just for that reason another thing to consider if this becomes a common thing you leaving. look into an automatic door they are great.

8. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Oh, there is a skirt...sorry, I should have described the run better. It is covered completely in welded wire, including the top, and has two feet of hardware cloth around the bottom, plus a skirt.

Oh, well then they are as secure as can be. Please go ahead and enjoy yourself. Find a sitter to come collect eggs, change the water, check the feeder, and look over the hens once a day, and you're set for weeks!

Mine have 2 totally enclosed runs, just like yours, and we leave the pop doors open at all times, except in unusually cold or windy weather. The runs are as safe as the coop.​

9. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    sounds like you did a fine job with your run and coop, I would leave and have a nice time knowing they are secure.

10. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks everyone! I feel a bit more comfortable now. It is only one night...so, I may go for it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by