So Yesterday Was "Day 21"...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by byrandom, Feb 17, 2009.

1. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    And nothing! I'm slightly disappointed. I figured I would leave the eggs (23 Easter Eggers) in the hatcher until "Day 25".

Incubator: Sportsman 1202
    Top Temperature: 100.0
    Bottom Temperature: 99.8

Top Humidity: 52%
    Bottom Humidity: 53%

Hatcher: HovaBator
    Temperature: 99.7
    Humidity: 73%

Candled at "Day 10". 1 clear, 23 veiny-growing eggs. Candled two whenever they were taken out of the incubator and put into the hatcher. Couldn't see through them at all....

So apparently I can't hatch eggs! [​IMG]

Any suggestions? Perhaps I am too critical? [​IMG]

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Don't worry yet, leave them alone till 25 days. You may have them hatching in a little while.
    [​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

So they were set on 1/26? Or was it 1/27? If it was 1/26, today is day 21. Some people forget that the day they are set is day 0. You probably didn't, but I thought I'd ask...

Also, some 'bators run a little bit cooler and eggs will hatch late. Mine always hatch on day 22 or later.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. byrandom

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Quote:I believe that they were set on 1/26. I have a horrible memory (considering I've set over 6 dozen eggs within the past month) and don't have my trusty calendar at work with me...

ETA: I have 3 thermometers in the incubator alone. 2 with a probe, and 1 without. One thermometer is on the top shelf of the Sportman, with the probe on the first turner/rack. The second thermometer is on the bottom, with the probe on the third turner/rack. Then a third thermometer is clipped onto the front of the second turner..... However, the only thing that I didn't take into account is the temperature inside the egg, i.e. the water wiggler affect. Maybe they were just a little cooler than I thought...?

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Hang in there a little longer and look for pipping to start. You could be off by a day depending on the time you put them in. If you candled and could not see much of anything you are hopefully OK. You may want to watch the eggs closely for a few minutes for them to shake or vibrate some that will at least let you know they are alive and trying to pipe. Fingers are crossed for you!

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

oops, correction:

Or was it 1/27? If it was 1/26, today is day 21.

Should be if it was 1/27, today is day 21! But it sounds like you are on day 22 most likely. I wouldn't worry yet. Mine never pip until I have given up all hope and stop looking. [​IMG]

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    well can you remeber what day of the week it was, because i have heard of the one rule that if you set them on a monday they are supposed to hatch on a monday, or whatever day you set them. i am not sure if this helps you but i hope it does. [​IMG]

8. byrandom

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Still nothing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep expecting to get a call about a pip, or a peep, or a little rocking.. maybe a noise or two.. Nope. Nothing.

[​IMG] I have no idea if my incubation methods were wrong...

All I know if that I have 6-7 dozen other eggs in the incubator, staggered hatches..

I have the "Can I not incubate a chicken egg!?!??!?!" Blues... [​IMG]

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Staggered hatches in one bator? I tried it with no luck. Maybe tonight.

10. byrandom

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Quote:Well yes and no. They are staggered hatches, but I'm using a hova for a hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by