So you can feed your adult flock starter feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 23, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

It was such a long time ago that I have forgotten. Am I right that you can and some people do, feed their laying/ adult flock chick starter or pullet grower and then supplement them with calcium??
    I thought it was to high in protein for them?

Thanks, Lucas.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It seems to be fairly common with people who have a mixed flock, either an all-ages or starter/grower type feed, and just have oyster shell etc on the side for the layers. I feed everything a 20% chick starter/grower pellet, I cut it with grain if I want to lower the protein%, like for young pullets. Protein is money so most people don't want to feed any higher protein % than their hens need, and the 16% most commercial layer feeds are seems to be the point where commercially money/protein vs egg production evens out. Most chick starter/growers are 18-24% so shouldn't be a problem for laying hens, if you feed scratch or grain or a lot of treats you are lowering the protein % anyhow.

3. cluckcluckluke

"I feed everything a 20% chick starter/grower pellet" - What does the 20% mean in this sentence??

The protein isn't just 'wasted' on the hens is it, surely it goes into extra shiny feathers or strong beaks, not just pushed out of the other end or does it??

When you say you feed starter/ grower feed pellet. Is that like a premixed pellet on the market or are you buying a bag of starter and a bag of grower and mixing the two for your flock feed?

Can I just do that? Mix starter and grower?

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    the 20% is the protein amount of their feed. you dont have to mix feeds just a starter or grower is fine its just some brands dont have their starter and grower seperate so their combined and labled starter/grower together.

if you have access to an all flock or flockraiser type feed that would be a good choice also...i feed an all flock pellet feed to my LF cochins and they really like it girls

5. cluckcluckluke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by