So you think you can sex Muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nes, Nov 10, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Which of these ducks are boys?

[​IMG]

Here's a hint: There are 3 of them.

They are all the same age and 3 of them are from the same hatch. I am quite positive as I just saw mating behaviour from the not-so-much-a-girl.

I give up ever trying to sex muscovy...

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Girl, boy, boy.

3. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    There are 5 ducks altogether, 2 are girls 3 are boys. The last two on the right are definitely the boys, but there is one more in that picture.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The duck to the far left is somewhat obscured, but it still looks like 3 hens and two drakes. Hens will engage in mating behavior with other hens upon occassion.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The 3 on the left look the same size and smaller than the 2 on the right. Hard to tell from the angle but it looks like 3 girls and a boy. Girls on left and boys on right.

Oh and unless you saw a penis after the deed was done, mating behavior does not guarantee sex. Males will try to mount males and females may mount females. So.......

The easiest way is size and those to blacks are huge, the rest look small so as long as they are the same hatch (not just close in age) you should be able to tell.

6. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    the one on the far left and the 2 on the right? are those the boys?

7. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Ugh, don't make me go out there and watch them some more!! [​IMG]
    Same-sex pairs of most species engage in dominance activities, but I'm quite sure they were mating.

The littlest black did have some health issues (angel wing) so it even makes sense that he would have matured more slowly.

He also acts more like a boy then a girl. The girls are always flying off on their own, while the 3 bruisers waddle around intimidating the other animals. I'll bet "she'll" fill out a lot more in the coming months and look just like the brothers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    boy, girl, girl, boy, boy

[​IMG] im just guessing

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    What kind of noises does the little black one make? If it's hissing and huffing I'd bet it is a boy but if not I'd have to agree it looks like a female.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I don't know, even the caruncling is different. The 3 on the left have "girly" caruncling and the 2 on the right have much more. I don't think that angel wing would have inhibited growth rate. [​IMG]

I went through a similar stage with mine. Thought for sure that one was a girl becuase of the size, talked to the breeder and they were from different hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by