Soaked chickens temps dropping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Attila the Hen, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    It has been pouring all day and the chickens chose to be outside and not in the coop. They are soaked and it will drop to perhaps 30-40 F tonight. Should I try to dry them? Please advise.
    THANK YOU

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    What breed are we talking about? Most will be just fine. It's 24 degrees here now and my girls have been out in the snow since lunch time. Mine love the rain. They only get wet on the top layer or 2, underneath where the nice warm down is it's nice and dry.

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    They are Buff Orpingtons just under a year old. It is in the 50s now and will go down to 29 tonight. I have 5 hens and a rooster. Should I put them in the bathroom for the night or am I overreacting. I don't think they are soaked to the skin. They had the option of shelter.
    thank you so much for responding I only have a few more minutes of day light.

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    They will be fine. Nothing to worry about...

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    As long as they have a draft-free place to sleep, they'll dry out fine by morning. Mine look like wet mops after a rainy day!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They have such a layer of feathers, I'm pretty sure their skin is toasty dry. I'm in wet Oregon.....if my hens didn't go out in the rain, they'd never get out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by