Soaked Chickens + Wet Feed anything to worry about ?

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)
this is the first time this year it rained this hard.. my whole backyard is pretty much flooded..

i let them out for about 2 hours today since i got off from work early--

i didn't realize it was raining until i heard the sound of thunder..i ran outside and the door of the run was closed (due to the wind)

one of them got inside on time and was taking shelter from the rain under the coop..

the other 4.. :/ they are soaking wet ..standing on the 4x6 i had lying around in the backyard ..

they would not let me pick them up while holding the umbrella.. keeping running round.. so

it's been a while for me.. taking a bath in the rain...
roll.png

i put them all in the coop and thinking of drying them but it's still pouring pretty hard..

the feed in the feeder is also wet... probably have to replace it with new feed and move it inside the coop

will they be ok for the night ? being soaked and all..

the forecast stated that it might rain for 3-4 days..

Last edited:
My feeder and food got wet when the rain came down sideways last week and all was well - they didn't seem to care when it let up, other than cleaning of their beaks more often.

Last edited:
Bruce, how wet did the feed get? The chickens should be fine, but I wouldn't want the feed sitting around getting moldy or anything. The thing that comes to mind when I think of wet feed is....fermented feed. Maybe if the top layer got wet but the rest is still dry you could get a 5-gallon bucket and try fermenting it. Fermented feed has a lot of positives about it...good probiotics, the nutrition of the feed is more readily available to the chickens' digestive systems, it can cut your feed bill in half, the chickens *love* it, etc.,. Just throwing that at you as a thought.

Best wishes,
Ed

Bruce, how wet did the feed get? The chickens should be fine, but I wouldn't want the feed sitting around getting moldy or anything. The thing that comes to mind when I think of wet feed is....fermented feed. Maybe if the top layer got wet but the rest is still dry you could get a 5-gallon bucket and try fermenting it. Fermented feed has a lot of positives about it...good probiotics, the nutrition of the feed is more readily available to the chickens' digestive systems, it can cut your feed bill in half, the chickens *love* it, etc.,. Just throwing that at you as a thought.

Best wishes,
Ed
Good suggestion....lemonade from lemons.

@BruceAZ ...too late I guess but, they should be fine if fully feathered.
I've had some soaked looking chickens...another cliche comes to mind - 'drowned rats'.....
...but upon examination their skin was dry and warm way under there, those feathers shed water pretty good.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I checked them this morning.. they are doing fine :) just a little hungry since i hung the feeder all the way up last night to prevent any more water from splashing in

the moment i lowered the feeder...

Back
Top Bottom