Soaked timothy hay pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Dec 18, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Does anyone feed soaked timothy hay pellets to their chickens? I have alfalfa cubes but even soaked doesn't eliminate pieces that might contribute to impacted crop.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:I soak alfalfa pellets, I don't think there is a difference? And by soak, I mean cooked along with their morning oatmeal/cornmeal mix. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  3. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I put alfalfa pellets in a shallow pan and then cover them with water until they are completely expanded from the water..takes about 30 minutes to an hour..my chickies love it!!

4. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Has anyone ever used rabbit pellets? I have a 20 lb bag left over from my rabbits that I had sold and would prefer they did not go to waste. Might anyone here have the nutritional value for the timoth hay pellets? I'd like to compare the ingredients and percentages to determine weather or not they should eat them? Are they equivelent to one another in health benefits?

5. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I did not use rabbit pellets because of all the added ingredients. I wanted ONLY alfalfa, so I got the horse pellets. I do not know if it is ok to give rabbit pellets, I just preferred not to. Curious as to if anyone knows if it is "OK".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by