1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SoCal Back Country

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by outintheyard, Jun 9, 2016.

1. outintheyard

outintheyard Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Hello everyone! I live in Southern California, east of San Diego. Just south of Julian in Gold Rush Territory. My chicken-owning started 3 years ago when my daughter brought home 3 mystery chicks from a swap meet in Tijuana on Easter Sunday. So, I set 'em up in the bathroom and a friend got started building us a coop. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    Pic 1 - previous New Year's Day when we got snow. (That is pretty much the extent of it. 2-3 days of light snow and...done.)
    Pic 2 - The coop during the spring
    Pic 3 - The 3 swap meet chickens, (one turned out to be a rooster), and one rescued chicken from a chicken ranch up here. She was getting old I guess. I have had her now for 2 years and she STILL lays.
    We recently acquired 2 additional chickens, but no pics yet. Thank you!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I'm so glad you joined! Please feel free to look around and give advice or ask for it! Also if you want to find out what breed your chickens are you can ask in the "What Breed? Or Gender?" Forum.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Beautiful Rooster you have there! Looks like they all have a lovely home too. Thanks for sharing!

Make yourself at home here and if you do have any questions about things, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. outintheyard

outintheyard Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Thank you all! Weinie (that's the rooster) says "thanks" as well, for the compliment. He is quite vain! [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us. You have a great set up and flock there.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]