Socal weather and Stevie

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muskrat22, Jun 18, 2016.

1. muskrat22

muskrat22 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Stevie, my rescue chicken, has been brought in the house and put in a broken shower w/ various materials I use in her bedding. Should I be worried about her becoming bored? If so what should I do to entertain her? I will be taking her out to her coop for the night but during the day it may reach 110 degrees and that's not healthy for anyone to be out in!

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    She's going to get bored with nothing to do all day. Spread a sheet on the couch and let her watch tv with you. Clean up later. Did you get her some friends yet?

3. muskrat22

Jun 13, 2016
    I was unable to get her friends just yet, as I was worried I might stress the new ones out and end up with dead new chickens due to the combination of relocating them and the extreme heat over stressing them. I'm not sure if that would happen, but I'm not taking any chances. I will take her out and let her hang out in the den, though the dogs have to stay in the back room. They see chickens as a play toy, not a friend!

4. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Find something she can perch on, put a mirror in with her, give her a part of a melon or something that will take her a while to eat, and go visit her once in a while.

We keep a mister hooked up to a hose out by our chicken's run and they get in and out of that when they want to. They are in the shade though. Also feed them watermelon ... they love it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  5. muskrat22

Jun 13, 2016
    Great ideas everyone thank you she loves to listen to country music so I'll leave some playing for her I think I'll borrow some of my cockatiel's toys for her to play with seeing as the cockatiel doesn't really appreciate them anyways!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by