Social Anxiety, group situation tomorrow!

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I've just registered for my FIRST real person class... going back to school after 10+ years, and have taken a few classes online, well, apparently you can't learn sign language on a computer, so I've got to actually GO, and sit with other people, REAL people, and take a class with them. Honestly, the idea of introducing myself to a group makes me want to vomit. I can do fine with one or two or three people, but a whole ROOM of them makes me feel like i might pass out. any advice? Anyone else feel like this?

A whole group of people is only multiple sets of two or three people. Focus on that instead of the whole thing. Remember, like I tell my students in my classes, no one there actually gives a crap about you as much as you think they do. In half an hour they would be hard put to even describe you. Relax. Enjoy. With practice it becomes easier.
Good luck!
sharon

My issue is bridges; I haven't been able to drive over a bridges without major anxiety in over 26 years. Rediculous, isn't it. But that doesn't change anything about the anxiety I feel. We all have something; small, tight spaces, public speaking, flying...and the list goes on and on. One of my son's friends was terrified of kittens! So my point is that you are not alone.

I speak before crowds often so I'll try to help you. My guess is you are afraid of losing control since you are worried about passing out. You may be worried about others being judgmental of you or smarter than you, but I'll bet you will surprise yourself at how smart you really are and how much you can help the others in the class by just being there and sharing with them. You're going to be great!

I want you to go to Youtube and search the 'tapping cure'. I won't go into it here, but I believe it will help you.

thanks! I'll check out the tapping cure, and I hate bridges too. The bridge from NH to Maine is terrible, and the one to the Cape almost kills me every time. I always turn the radio off and scream at the kids to stop talking, and then I just try to not pass out the whole way over. the older I get, the more phobic I seem to be...

I worked at a job that I hated but needed so badly many years ago. I was transferred to the 'first aid' department where I was 20 yrs. old and had absolutely NO experience with such things and felt so out of place and out of control. It turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened to me...

I had to take training, got really good at it and ended up even doing a few little seminars for other companies. But when I first started, I didn't know what to expect; would I pass out at the sight of blood? Would everyone make fun of me for not knowing what I was doing? And the worst was would I hurt someone because of my ignorance? The answer to all of these and many more terrifying questions was NO. As a matter of fact, I took the attitude that I needed to learn fast and be good so that I could help people. I found that I was really good at putting people at ease before I started treating them. The more I focused on my goal of helping people, the more fears fell by the wayside. I don't work in 'first aid' anymore but I sure use what I learned about myself and those experiences every day now.

I'm very proud of you for stepping out of your 'comfort zone'. One other thing I thought of for you; plan what you are going to say ahead of time. For instance, if you think you will need to introduce yourself to the class just write down what you want to say and read it if you need to. Something like ' Hi, I'm ___________ and I'm so glad to be in this class and at the same time, I'm really nervous about it. I haven't been to school in ______ years and I'm a little anxious around crowds. I'm from___________, I have ________ children and I raise chickens! I'm looking forward to working with you all.' Or whatever you are comfortable with but you get the idea. Everybody there wants to help people; its sign language! They'll love you for your honesty immediately. Good luck and enjoy your class; you'll be great...I can tell...

I can almost promise there will be one other person there as uncomfortable as you. I always try to find that one person and buddy up. Once you have a buddy its not as scary to face that room full.

Also this sounds stupid but I watch tv shows to prep before hand. Friends, Gilmore girls, Seinfeld. Anyway I kinda pick up little things to do to break the ice from tv. Its almost like training yourself to be social. Just watch what the social people do. My first real person class I made friends over a broken soda machine and a deep need for caffeine. All it takes is one thing in common.

WELL,
it was certainly an experience. Keep in mind that I have actually NEVER had a babysitter, so this was a whole new experience. the class was okay i guess, didn't see/find anyone I might have something in common with... yet. The teacher of this sign language class is deaf, and has a mustache. Since being hit with lightning, i can't hear so well, and I have to watch your lips when you speak... and this guy does not speak like anything i've ever seen... so i missed about 30% of what he said. I'm going to try to change my seat so I can see him better. As far as social anxiety goes, I got all hot in the face, and felt a little dizzy during the introductions, but nobody laughed, or even spoke to me, so i guess that's a good thing. one thing about this class that is interesting is that there wasn't too much social anxiety because there was minimal social interaction. nobody chatted, nothing... so I didn't have to interact at all. i guess we might have to do more of that next week... thanks for thinking about me! I appreciate that. I was SO glad to get home and lock up my birds and wake each kid up just enough that they know I'm home. have a good night!

Sounds like it went really well. Now you know what to expect. Moving closer to the teacher will definately help; it helps EVERYBODY, hearing impared or not.

Mustache, huh....well that's not helpful. And I have to see my DH lips move to understand him sometimes, too (and I can usually hear fine - he just mumbles).

Back
Top Bottom