Social Experiment - Raising Duckling with Quails.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jacob Duckman, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    [​IMG]

This duckling was the only successful hatch out of my latest batch of 8 eggs. I have read that lone ducklings have lower survival rates, so I decided to introduce him to 2 week-old batch of button Quails and carefully supervise. There was a little bit of light back and forth pecking and pushing but after an hour or so the Quails started accepting him and they now eat and drink together, and pile up for heat.

I realize that I'm going to have a little bit of a problem in a week or two when when duckling becomes too big for the tiny quail. Will it become a trampling hazard? Will the duck be sensitized enough to know not to step on them? I am not sure, but i will be taking it one day at a time and updating with more clips.

*any advice from button quail people would help. ty!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I'm intrested to see how this goes. Maybe try putting a piece of hardware cloth over a baking tray, and sitting the waterer on top as the duckling will very quickly get messy.

Also be aware that the duckling could imprint on the quail, but good luck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I think you are going to have more than just a size difference problem here. For one the birds need different feeds. Quail chicks need feed with about 28% protein in the first couple months. That's too high for a duck, which should be around 20-22%. Ducks also need extra niacin. You should be supplementing the feed or water. I don't think the extra niacin will hurt the quail though.

The duck will also start to play in the water at some point and make a big wet mess. Quail chicks don't do well if they get/stay wet.

You're right that the duckling will outgrow the quail in no time. While it probably won't mean to hurt the quail chicks it could just from the size difference. Ducklings are not graceful on land so the chances of it stepping on a chick are high.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    I did not know that about the feed. I've been feeding the both of them 24% chick starter with added niacin which has worked pretty well on my previous ducklings. I'm using a standard chick-waterer with small head holes to avoid too much spillage. By the end of the day when i change the litter, only the very end of the litter bed is wet. The duckling is now almost 3 times the size of the quails, so i'm getting ready to move him to an enclosure right next to them. I do expect him to be uncomfortable for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by