Social Outcast ?

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I have a 10 week old cochin that got injured somehow yesterday morning. In fact when we found him I thought he was dead. Anywho - We brought him in and Dr. up his injuries - mostly some minor scratches to his head and one to his eye. He spent a good deal of time resting yesterday and is 200 % better today. He has been wandering around my bedroom today, eating & drinking fine. Visable wounds are healing up great. I even brought in a couple of his hatchmates for a little bit.

I decided to put him back out with the flock for a little while to see how he would fare since he was acting pretty normal inside. They proceeded to peck him so I removed him for about an hour. I took him back out and left him - thinking that they might let him be after getting those first pecks in.
Nope - they are all huddled by the garage for warmth and he was as far away as he could get after about 30 minutes.

So do you all think he might have injuries I can't see that they can sense or is he truely an outcast after being away for 24 hours?

I was gonna keep him inside tonight still anyway but just didn't want them to forget about him.

How should I reintroduce him?

For some reason, chickens will pick on an injured bird and even kill it. It is best to isolate it until it is completely healed.

Back
Top Bottom