Socialization ideas for puppies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Nov 23, 2010.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Yesterday I vvas gifted a beautiful St.Bernard puppy! Adelaide(Addy). She received her first set of shots on friday. My vet says she is pretty safe to go any vvhere after her second set of shots(in 4vveeks). Novv if I remember correctly (the last puppy I ovvned vvas a number of years ago novv) the most important time for socialization is betvveen 8-12 vveeks(possiby 16vveeks, but I can't remember).

I'm looking for some safe ideas of places vvhere I can take her for socialization..;Parvo is almost an epidemic at certain times of year in my area so and uncontrolled dog frequented areas is out(dog park/pet stores).

As soon as she settles in a bit I vvill bring her into the nursing home vvhere I vvork. Fevv dogs visit there and the ones that do must shovv proof of vacinations before entering, so I feel that is fairly lovv risk, Plus I vvould like her to be very comfortable around vvheelchairs as the residents really get alot out of dog visits so she vvill go there perhaps a fevv times a month.

Anybody else have any ideas for socialization?

thanks

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I used to take my pups and sit with them on a bench in front of the local mall, with a pocket full of treats. Of course everybody had to pet the puppy! The local grocery store would work, too.

3. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:That is a good idea. I could keep her on my lap to add a bit more safety. But the vveather here in ontario is a bit cold for that this time of year(for me anyvvays, I'm sure Addy vvouldn't mind)!

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I think a lot of 'socialization' can be done at home with pots, pans, umbrellas, water hoses, kiddie pools, stairs, slick surfaces. I love to teach pups to walk on a board or other unusual surfaces, and to be at ease walking on piles of things that might move a little bit. Teaching them to enjoy brushing, nail clipping, bathing and teeth cleaning is also important. Especially with a big dog, it's very, very important to teach them to tolerate being rolled onto their side or back.

I actually like to teach pups to relax around loud noise - our favorite is the last few minutes of 'The Blues Brothers', LOL. I never want a loud noise to be connected to a punishment. I want them to ignore loud noises.

Teaching dogs to tolerate other livestock, people jumping around, all sorts of things...also very fun. I like to teach them to not mind picking up different objects, for when they do scent discrimination in obedience, and I teach them to step over a stick I'm holding close to the ground, all with great fanfare and hardly anything being wrong.

The main idea is to get them thinking, 'BOY this human is a laugh a minute'.

I like to teach them to sit for a second or two while someone else steps over them, and to 'watch me' - tune into a treat held next to my face. I like to teach them to go grab a treat I throw. I like to play hide and seek with someone else hiding and the dog getting a treat from the person when they find them. I like to teach them to 'follow' a treat I have in my hand.

I have no problem with teaching a 10 week old pup to heel on a leash. No problem at all. But I do it for about 30 seconds at a time, and the reward comes no matter HOW that little session went. Little puppy butts just sort of naturally plop down on the floor when a treat is held over their heads, and when a treat is put on the floor between their front paws, well they just naturally tend to lie down. But anything a youngster is taught is going to be very, very brief and fun, fun fun.

Most people get kind of tensed up when they start actually teaching a dog...they get the feeling it just HAS to go perfectly, or go too far the other way trying to avoid that - that it doesn't matter at all what the dog does...I like to just get a wee bit inside of 'I don't care at all what the dog does', so I'm kind of more shaping or developing a response than thinking 'oh this has to go right the first time' - which is the source of a lot of mental turmoil...in...the human.... Keeping the session short tends to be good for pups, but it also keeps the human from getting...hysterical.

It's got to all be very fun and rewarding, done with a very light, relaxed touch, not worrying much about how it comes out, and then it really gives a dog a good basis for not just submitting to training, but really enjoying it. It's so important to give a dog the idea that this human is REALLY fun and a whole lot of good things come out of looking at him, standing around him and watching what he does with his hands, voice.

With pups, I often will tie them up near me so they learn to relax and take it easy and rest. As long as they are not getting freaked out that can be useful. I also want to teach them to 'chill', I think that's very, very important. I think just simply following the human around is a good one too - a treat might just pop out of my pocket at any moment.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    puppy class was the first to jump into my head.. but what about taking Addy to the dog food store when you go (Walmart frowns on it)

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Having issues with your W key? I keep finding my self reading you post in a German accent.

Just make sure you give that next shot 7 days to take before exposing it.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I took Sadie to puppy classes. That was great for her. She had such a great time and did learn a lot, plus the socialization was priceless.

8. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Good Ideas everyone!

VVelsummerchicks, thanks yes those are good ideas and vve do most of those things anyvvays!

Puppy class is a great idea..but not available in my area..maybe I could start one? I'll look into that.

Yes Rebel...My double u key bit the dust yesterday(2.5 year old in the house)... it is sort of an interesting mental exercise to type vvith out it...You'd be surprised hovv often a double u is actually used...

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

10. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    being a fourth generation of a show dog family - i know that my grandparents and parents would tape dogs shows - loud noises - so forth - therefore they are not skittish of any loud noises . They did this near the whelping box and would let it run the pups ears opened up and before they were able to be vaccinated enough to take in public. Exposure to morethings- sounds the better off it will be

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by