socializing chicks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jynx21, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jynx21

Jynx21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    Hi, I need some quick advice.
    Two of my hens have hatched out clutches the chicks are about 3 weeks old and we want to get them used to being handled but the mama's won't let us near them. Can we take the chicks out to get them used to being handled without it causing to much stress for both the hens and the chicks?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Take them out. They will all be stressed for a time, but will all get over it. It's the fastest way to tame down the chicks.

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You will need to gain the confidence of the hen first by sitting in the pen with her and her chicks. Talk softly to her and let her get used to your presence. Give her some treats and hold out your hand for the chicks. Once she realizes that you are not going to harm her or the chicks then she will get more tollerant of you being there. Let the chicks come to you. Don't chase them and if they come to you rub your finger on their chest until they are comfortable. Soon you will find that when you go into the pen that a few of the chicks will come to you to want to be petted. You will then be able to start picking them up. The mother hen only reacts to her chicks fear. If the chicks are making a ruckus then she will be defensive. If the chicks are happy then she will be less defensive. It takes work but it is worth it in the end.

4. Jynx21

Jynx21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    Thank you for the advice, we took them out last night and everyone seems fine. The hens don't seem overly concerned we will be spending more time in the pen though, my flock of Jersey Gaints need a bit more hands on, they are only 3 months old and already bigger than my Americana roo:D. They look like a flock of Velosa Raptors strutting around in the pen.
    Thank you again for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by