Socializing duke the Rouen duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duketheduck331, May 1, 2016.

1. duketheduck331

duketheduck331 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Bellingham Washington
    Hi I got a Rouen duck from a hatchery named duke and he has bonded with me and he was inside for 2 months but as of now he sleeps in his house and he follows me everywhere lets me pick him up touch him n mess around with him but before when I put two chick with his he chase them and he broke the leg of one and the other he chases... We put him with our mallard and he use to chase him but now he is okay with him but if I am with them and the other duck nears me he will strike at him and duke also does the same when I'm holding one of our kittens in my lap... His head starts shaking then he strikes so I normally block it and he's starting to do it with my little cousins I just want to know if there is a way to make him stop being jealous when I am with other animals lol

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Welcome to BYC, so glad you've come seeking answers. Why not put the jealous duck in his pen while you pet other animals? There's no need to put animals in danger of breaking eachother's legs.

3. duketheduck331

May 1, 2016
    Bellingham Washington

Yeah that's true haha he only does it with chicks since they are smaller then but is scared of the older chickens... But I want to try to get him to get a long with other animals cause I have rabbits chickens dogs cats and other ducks and don't want him to e the only one cooped up :(

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    maybe get him a lady duck?

5. duketheduck331

May 1, 2016
    Bellingham Washington

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing :) hopefully he won't chase her off [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by