Socializing New Ladies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissBokBok, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MissBokBok

MissBokBok Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    Hi All,
    About a month ago I incorporated a 2-month and 3-month old Easter Eggers to my flock of 9 8-month-old girls. They were skittish but I've been giving them plenty of places to hide and food in a separate area so they don't get chased off.

It's been a month now and the two new girls rarely venture out in the run, still get chased off from the food, and roost in a separate area from the rest despite me moving them together again and again. They are so not in the cool crowd yet.

Recently I removed a bunch of chickens (3 were naughty and 2 are in sick bay) so there are 2 newcomers with 4 older chickens. Still scaredy cats.

Anything I can do to speed this process up? It's a pain to feed them separately and they're social so I think it's stressful to be so picked on.

I have plenty of space in my coop/run, and my birds generally aren't too mean, aside from running the new guys off of the food (not every time, though).

Thanks.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

There are a lot of threads on integration, so rather than trying to spew the whole lot up here, id suggest that you search "integrating chickens into a flock" or some such search and you will find a multitude of threads and posts that will help you. Multiple feed stations will certainly ease the situation IMO.

All the best
    CT

3. MissBokBok

MissBokBok Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks. I was using the wrong search terms.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by