Socializing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyduckmom, Feb 16, 2012.

1. crazyduckmom

crazyduckmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Any body have any tips on how to make my ducklings more easy to handle and not so flighty when i try to feed, water, or bring them into the bathroom so they can play in the tub? I have 4 that are 4 1/2 weeks old right now and they are all pretty skittish when I try to interact with them. One seems to be a little more mellow then the others once I get a hold of him. but I wold like if all of them would be okay with me being in their area and handling them.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have you tried peas? this is a scarey time for them, this really big person comes and picks them up to go play in the tub, for all they know your gonna plop them into your mouth lol. Try putting peas into the tub after you get them into it. I bet that will give them something to look forward too. frozen peas right out of the freezer into a tub of warm water yummy. after they have had peas in their tub, then start bringing them peas to their brooder, I use a little warm water and microwave till thawed. Put a few on your hand and see if you can coax them to eat out of your hand.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. BarneyChick97

BarneyChick97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Mt. Vernon, Washington
    What kind of ducks did you get? I understand that some are more social than others. I've only had ducks for about a year. We had 2 rouens and 2 pekins. They were always a little spazzy. I would say, just keep holding them when you can. We ended up giving 2 of our ducks away. They were females. They seemed to be the spazziest. I wouldn't say that's the way to figure the sex, but that's what I remember. We have one drake who doesn't seem to like to be picked up as much as the rouen female. Well, I should say, they probably don't like like being picked up......but she's definitely doesn't seem to mind as much! They are fully grown now, and the drake pekin is much larger, so he's also harder to handle.

Good luck with your ducks. They are really fun to watch!

4. BarneyChick97

Nov 8, 2011
    Mt. Vernon, Washington
    also, might try throwing some carrot shreds in there......my ducks LOVE carrots and even torn up lettuce! peas are a great idea too.....

5. crazyduckmom

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that! I currently have their pen door open so they can come close to me on their own when they feel comfortable but they only go about a foot outside their pen and run back in the second i move. I guess I'm trying to rush thing because a couple weeks ago they would not stop peeping in the middle of the night even though they had enough food and water and they were nice and clean. I had to make myself a bed ext to their pen and they came up to me and cuddle with me the rest of the night, I just wish it was like that all the time!

6. crazyduckmom

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    They are pekin/snowy mixes. here is a picture of them[​IMG]
    They were all hatched from the same parents in the same batch of eggs. I think the black one laying down is a female alone with the brownish one and I think the other 2 are males.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Adorable! Oh and peas with quiet time with them. Try just sitting near them, talking quietly to them. Toss some peas their way.

9. crazyduckmom

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks for the tips guys, I know they will be going outside into the coop in a few short weeks (even though I'm trying to convince my fiance that keeping one in the house is a good idea) I at least want them to be willing to be handled should something ever be wrong and they need to be brought to the vet or kept inside for any reason.

10. BarneyChick97

Nov 8, 2011
    Mt. Vernon, Washington
    Ducks are pretty messy, and they don't have the muscle to control when they "go". I've seen pictures of people who have a pet duck, that's obviously "indoor" because they are wearing special "pants". If you have a fenced in yard, let them roam! Eventually, they'll come right to the door! I would almost bet that if someone were to leave our door open, they'd walk right in too! We have an acre and a half, half of that is fenced, and the duck pond and critter coop is in the very back part of our yard. They have free range to go wherever they like. Somehow, they almost always end up snoozing on my deck!! (they have to climb stairs too!) It's pretty cute. The hose is out all year round to rinse off the "duck goo" though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by