Socks for spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MGChick, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MGChick

MGChick New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    I'vegot a week old Cornish X that suddenly can't seem to stand up. Just sits on her backside with her legs pushed out in front. I read a post about using a sock to correct the leg issue, but no details were given about how to apply the sock. Has anyone else ever used a sock in this way?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

can you post a picture?

3. MGChick

MGChick New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry this isn't a better shot. I can try again after work this evening.

4. Poultry parent

you can cut a roughly 1'' wide strip of vet wrap and wrap one end of it around and the other end around the other leg, just make sure the legs are about as far apart as the other chicks

5. MGChick

MGChick New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Will this force her to stand upright? I only ask as it doesn't resemble spraddle leg. She seems to be afraid of standing up. Almost like her balance isn't working. If I support her rump and try to let her walk, she just kind of dances without ever really trying to walk.

6. Poultry parent

can she mover her legs? do they hurt if you touch them?

7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    It could be a vitamin problem.. I think it would be Vitamin E Try and look that up.

8. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    A good electrolyte solution might help. Sav-a-chick, nutri-drench, etc.. Keep them eating and drinking as much as possible and there is a possibility the chick will get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by