1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    The sod is out @ Lowes & I thought it would be a good way to get grass back into the run that the girls have made barren. I know that it would just get eaten & all dug up just like the original patch of lawn was. But I thought it would be a quick fix for the spring time. The girls are trying to dig to China I swear by the size of some of the holes in the run now. Has anyone ever put sod in their run before??? Would it just be a total waste of money?? My DH seems to think that the sod is highly treated w/ chemicals(fertilizers) & it might be a bad idea to do it.
    What do you think?

2. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    It would be a waste of money. They will shred it in no time. Last year i had three in a tractor that i moved regularly. In a week or two the ground was bare which was my goal as it was yucky weed and grass mix and I wanted it cleaned up so I could lay sod in that area. I have seen some posts here about some that have made a salad bar in their coop by planting seed in a raised bed and covering in with chicken wire. Then the chickens can have what grows above the wire but not dig it all up below the wire.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    If you cover it with wire and turn it into a salad bar you could preserve it. I have seen a few threads around here with pictures...type in salad bar..but I would want to make sure the sod was not raised with pesticides. You could do the same thing by marking off an area with edge and wire and planting seed, it grows rather quickly.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Exactly what I was going to suggest. Great idea GiddyMoon!!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sod IS treated with a whole heckuva lot of pesticides and fertilizers, if you don't want the chickens exposed to that then anything other than organic sod (ka-ching) is not a good idea. If you don't mind, then you don't mind [​IMG]

It really won't last very long at all though. You could achieve pretty much the same effect for free by just dumping some lawn clippings or safe garden weedings in there [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
  7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:Exactly what I was going to suggest. Great idea GiddyMoon!!

Wasn't my idea, but thank you..I just good at passing them along [​IMG] [​IMG]

ANd we plan on putting one in, but I am just going to throw down a bunch of the birdseed we use here..that stuff is safe and sprouts very quickly!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  8. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Pesticides aren't your only concern. Many sod farms use a plastic mesh to anchor their seed medium or sprigs. When the sod is cut up, the plastic comes with it. It eventually 'degrades', but in the mean time, your chickens will go for it - it's a lovely shade of green - and it will clog themup & kill them. It's the same sort of plastic fibers that are used in the new plastic feed bags. It's ugly when that tries togo,unsuccessfully, through a chicken's digestive system. Better to fill in with some dirt & lay down lots of pine shavings. I throw the grass clippings from lawn mowing in there,too, so the girls have something to scratch & root through. [​IMG]

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thanks for the input, I'll run the salad bar idea by the DH & see what he says.....
    As for dumping in grass clippings, I think we are still a good week or two before the mower comes out for the season. We did that last yr & the girls certainly enjoyed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by