Soft and Thin Eggshell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lkcaffery, Aug 25, 2013.

1. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    My Salmon Faverolles has been laying for about a year. About 80% of her eggs have such soft shells that they are broken when I find them. The shells are almost like water balloons. If she does lay an egg that stays in tact, the shell is incredibly thin, especially in comparison to my other girls' eggs. They are on layer feed and have a calcium supplement too. At first I chalked this up to being a new layer, but now it is a year later and nothing has changed. What should I do, if anything?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Food, water, and shelter. Not hard to manage, then the birds don't cooperate.

It is hard to tell from your post, but do you have more than one hen? Are all of them laying soft shelled eggs? Is only one of many having this problem?

Chris

3. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a total of four hens and they have all been laying for about a year. All of the others lay perfectly fine eggs - no soft or thin shells. They have a very large coop with a sizable run. They also spend a good part of each day out of the coop and run, free ranging and doing what chickens do. None of the other hens have ever had any other issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by