Soft clear eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twochickens, Aug 19, 2013.

1. twochickens

twochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    So tonight i went out and checked on our two chickens. i noticed that one was acting way weird. So i came in and told my mom that she seemed to be acting weird. She was walking low to the ground and was not making her normal racket. we just thought that maybe she had to lay another egg. ( i found two big eggs in there hutch just that evening). So me and my brother went back out and sat there. Sure enough she layed another egg... only this one was very soft and see through. i didnt have a chance to get it before our other chicken got it and cracked it. she did end up laying another smaller see through soft egg.
    (Hopefully this made sense to everyone.)
    Do chickens have egg cycles? ( the black stuff is from the ground)

[​IMG]

2. kschnetz

kschnetz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    California
    Your hen seems to have a Calcium deficiency! My first question is what are you feeding? She should be getting a LAYER CRUMBLE or PELLET. This feed contains the required ingredients for egg production.

Second, give your hens a Calcium supplement! Either CRUSHED egg shells (ensure they are crushed, or your hen could start eating her own eggs before you collect them), or a crushed oyster shell.

This should solve the problem! Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck!

3. twochickens

Aug 19, 2013
    We feed them Dumor Layer Pellets and they some times get scratch. this is the first time it has happened so it was a little scary. They normally lay nice hard eggs.

4. kschnetz

kschnetz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    California
    Totally understanding that this is scary! Since the egg shell is made up of 95% calcium corbonate (same ingredient found in sea shells, coral, pearls...), it is imperative that a laying hens diet be supplemented with it. Glad to see you are already on the right track with feeding =)

Scratch is a treat for chickens, kind of like candy. However, if you live in a cold environment, it is important to note that feeding corn scratch can help keep your chickens warm!

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Were all three eggs from today? I have heard of it happening if a hen lays more than one in a day as it takes approx 25 hours to fully develop an egg. How long has she been laying? Do you check for eggs regularly everyday so you know for sure that one of the first two came from her? Do you have free choice calcium?

6. twochickens

Aug 19, 2013
    Yes They always have food in there bowl and of course fresh water. they get scratch once a week. I dont like to get a lot of junk food. im pretty picky about what any of the animals we have eat.

And yes we watched her lay the two soft eggs. we check every day for eggs and we dont get them every day we have been getting two at the most every other day. They are young yet . and im not sure of age i wish i knew. we got them when they were little but not chicks.

7. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Make sure she has free choice oyster shell and try giving plain yogurt once a week. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Keep an eye on her and her eggs. Since she is young and had more than one egg in the same day it could just be that there wasn't enough time to fully develop it.

8. twochickens

Aug 19, 2013
    Where can i get the crushed oyster shells at? and normally they only lay once a day. so i thought i was very weird. But now i feel at rest knowing whats going on. I will def be keeping an eye on her! how much yogurt should i give? Thank you all so much!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can get oyster shell at any feed store or TSC.

10. twochickens

Aug 19, 2013
    Thats what i thought but i was not sure. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by