Soft egg dropped at night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Twin Willows, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Twin Willows

Twin Willows Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    We have an 18 month old Black Australorp that about every 2 weeks or so will drop a soft shelled (immature) egg at night while she is on the roost. I assume she is sleeping while she does this. At other times she will lay a normal egg in the nesting area. I'm giving them a commercial ground limestone/crushed oyster shell mix, I'm wondering if I should also add straight crushed oyster shells. Or, does she have a physical problem? Has anyone else had a problem like this?

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I did have one of my RIRs do this once. She had not laid during the day and I thought she was egg bound, but then in the morning an egg with inside intact and a soft shell passed in 2 pieces. Just a glitch in the system I guess.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I see one on rare occasions in our flock. Even with everything right, just happens.

4. smsabean

smsabean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    I see this occassionally as well. One evening I noticed a hen looking uncomfortable and picked her up to examine her. Just as I picked her up, a shellless egg dropped out. I've seen the occassional soft shelled egg dropped from the roost at night. I wonder if they have more difficult laying the egg when it is soft shelled or shell-less so it takes longer to come. However, the hen seemed to be fine and went on to lay good eggs.

5. Twin Willows

Twin Willows Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Yes, she is probably alright, maybe she had a nightmare! After reading some of the problems that other owner's have, I guess this is pretty minor, along with a cracked egg in a nest on occasion. Thanks for the help and advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by