Soft Egg Layer (constantly)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ghost_rider, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ghost_rider

ghost_rider Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Okay, I am puzzeled about a couple chickens that we have and why they are having troubles laying. The two in question are both Pheasant Plymouth Rocks, which I can't seem to find much about their breed. They are both about 6 months old. One has started laying and the other has not. They are free range birds who get laying crumbles and access to oyster shell, although I have noticed that both seem to stay away from the crumbles and oyster shells as if they don't like it.

The one who is laying started about a week or two ago and we've had three eggs that have hard shells, the rest are soft shell eggs. More interestingly, the soft eggs are always laid from the roost at night, although during her normal laying time she goes and gets in the nest as if she is going to lay, however she never lays an egg- she's actually in the box right now and we had a soft egg last night. [​IMG]

We are averaging a soft egg from the roost about every other day, except for the three she laid in the beginning with hard shells. Is there anything that I should be doing or is this a genetic problem, again her sister isn't even laying yet and is getting rather mean-- she'll bite the blood out of you if you get too close!! These were purina chicks and should be free from desease.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I still feel too new here to be giving out advice, but let's see if I've learned anything from all the reading I've done...
    What is the protein content percentage on the feed? If they aren't eating it (or enough) they may not be getting enough protein.
    What about the calcium? I know you said they seem to avoid the oystershell, but are you supplementing with anything else? I mix BOSS in with the feed for the protein, but also crunch up there own egg shells after eating eggs & feed it back to them. Sometimes for treats, they get different types of greens to add to the calcium intake.
    Someone with more knowledge will add to this at some point.
    As for the one not laying at all, one of my questions early on as well...just give her time. There is no 'set in stone' age & all birds are different. It will happen.

3. ghost_rider

ghost_rider Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    To give an update and answer a few of your questions... the chickens are given Pruina Layena, I'm not sure what the protien content is, however I am sure the chickens get enough protien as free range. They are contantly digging and eating bugs, frogs, lizards, etc. They also have access to about one to two cups of scratch, again Pruina, three grain scrath, which consist of what looks like millet, an oat, and cracked corn- not sure if this is exactly what's in it. We've given them BOSS but haven't in the last few weeks due to an increase in pricing at our local feed supplier. In addition to the oyster shells they also have access to crushed egg shells. While they don't seem too intersted in the Layena, I do see them eating some of it from time to time; it is supposed to be pretty balanced. We also give them tabel scrapes from time to time, mostly vegies.

Hope this helps and as always advice if greatly appreciated.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I should've clarified though that the calcium intake, I believe, would be the most important as far as the soft shell issue.
    I don't know ANYthing as far as it possibly being genetic & when/if the decision to cull will come up.
    I'll be following this thread in hopes of learning more about soft-shell eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by