Soft Egg On Floor of Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldrwnorman47, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Went in the coop after dark last night and was working my way around to get the eggs collected. Where they girls were roosting there was a soft shelled busted egg underneath them. They are new to laying so is that her just getting her plumbing worked out or should I be worried???

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Fairly new to chickens myself but here's what I have learned... (on BYC of course) [​IMG]

Soft shelled eggs happen sometimes at first because the new layer hasn't gotten the system working properly yet. I was told that offering oyster shell (free choice) would help and it did. It's only a problem if the same chicken keeps doing it for more than the first few weeks.

Then you need to talk to someone on here that is more educated in chickens then myself.

Good luck! Hope it helps! [​IMG]

3. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    I have recently put oyster out for them. Ill give her a couple weeks to get going.

Thanks A lot

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Do not worry about it. That happens sometimes no matter how much calcium they get. I have it happen with mines a few times a year. You will also get on occassion really tiny eggs. It just happens has nothing to do with age or laying experiance.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Soft shelled eggs are normal in the first month or so of laying as are very small, very large, double or no yolk eggs. Don't worry. Your girls may well eat these soft eggs, too. As long as they don't start pecking open solid ones you will be OK,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by