1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft egg safe to eat???? (pics added) LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Aug 16, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I had a hen, as I was closing them up last night, crawl in the nest box instead of the roost. Okay, I told myself, I would give her, her time and then close up shop.

Well, after working all day,I was tired, and I went back out, and she hadn't finished business. I just told her to hurry up, or that is where she would be sleeping, as I was going in. Waited out there for only about 5 more minutes, as I was feeding the mosquitos there late night snack. Closed up shop.....

Came out this morning, and the nest box looked soiled, but with light green to yellow liquid, and a soft shelled egg.

My question is, can we still eat it. I can wash it off, and have been handling it, with no breakage. IF, I do succeed in cleaning it off good enough, can we eat it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    anyone??

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I don't eat soft eggs, but I will cook them & feed them to my birds.

4. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    ah, good idea thanks:)

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I am fine eating softshell (rubber) egg, unless the membrane is broken. Just eat it right away. It doesn't store well. If membrane is broken or the egg contents are leaking, I just feed it back to the birds.

6. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Kind of funny....let it soak in water to help clean it off, while I cut peppers for dinner...it soaked up the water...it is like a breast implant now...[​IMG]

We all agreed we no longer want to eat it. [​IMG]

Will break it open to see what it contained anyways...[​IMG]

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

8. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Okay here is 2 pics that show it is a soft shell egg...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is after it soaked in the water....It just became engorged...felt like jello...

[​IMG]

And after cutting it open, releasing the water, which you can see in the picture, it is just a normal egg:)

[​IMG]

Had to document it...don't know why???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by