1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft Egg Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Penny 123, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Penny 123

Penny 123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2012
    One of our hens has laid an egg with a very soft almost transparent egg shell. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    is she a very young layer? hens that just start laying will often lay a few irregular eggs before they get the system down.....
    even hens that have been laying for a while might accidently lay a soft egg shell out of nowhere.
    Giving them something to boost there calcium intake might prevent them from laying soft shelled eggs. oysin ter shells mixed their feed works well

3. Older layers will do this also.

4. Penny 123

Jul 1, 2012
    She is about 2yrs. old. We give them oyster shell already. Maybe it was just one of those fluke things that happens!! [​IMG] Thanks for answering my question.

5. Yeah, they do that sometimes.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Sometimes if they run out of water or have been scared away from the water from other flock-mates it can happen. I noticed when my hens got worms, the lay funky eggs, because the worms are . Or unfortunately, it can be a respiratory disease affecting her shell gland.

If it is normal tomorrow on, it could have been a flunk.

7. Penny 123

Jul 1, 2012
    She has laid about 4 days in a row and they were all soft. I guess we will have to worm them. They usually eat the oyster shell we have out for them but maybe she isn't eating any. They have plenty of water around. I don't know if she is getting scared away or not. We will have to keep a close eye on them. Thanks for the advise. It's still all new to us!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah. Even though she has oyster shell,she may not be getting any.Is she low in the pecking order? Other chickens may not let her have any.

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Just was I was thinking. Clues of not eating are green poops and any food in her crop (which is located in her chest area).

10. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

What is the calcium content of the feed you are giving her? She needs a minimum of 4% to replace the calcium she is using to produce an egg shell.

Phosphorus is needed as well, in proper proportion to the calcium.

Oyster shell is great as an additional source of calcium, but it is crushed and dissolved very slowly in the gizzard and is not meant to be the primary source of calcium.

I have had some disagree with me on this, but in my opinion the primary calcium source should be the feed, not the supplement.

BTW, excess "treats" such as scratch grain lowers the overall calcium consumed, possibly below required levels.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by