soft egg shells

Discussion in 'Quail' started by swords75xlh, Mar 21, 2015.

1. swords75xlh

swords75xlh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    church point La.
    Is there any thing I can put in there water for harder shells? Was using oyster shell, I find it to hard to grind keep burning up blenders

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I have a chicken mineral boost (Net-tex Mineral Boost with Probiotic and Seaweed) product that you sprinkle on their food and I've used that for quail - you only need the tiniest amount for them as otherwise you'll get 2 eggs a day per hen (I don't want to burn my girls out as I have so many eggs I hardly know what to do with them anyway). That has calcium in it and all sorts of good stuff. I buy pet bird oyster shell grit and it seems to be small enough for my quail.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can purchase ground oyster shell here at Drs. Foster Smith....http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18935

I use the chipped stuff for automatic oyster shell dispensers. It has larger chips in it and smaller ground pieces. My chickens benefit from the larger pieces and my quail can eat the powdery and smaller pieces.

I have tried pounding and grinding it myself and know what a pain that is!! LOL

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The link I provided doesn't appear to be working now, at least on my end. I got there once today, LOL. You can find it at other pet stores that sell oyster shell for parrots. :)

5. swords75xlh

Apr 28, 2013
    church point La.
    thank you

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

You can get 50 pounds of ground oyster shells for 10 bucks at tractor supply. Way easier and cheaper than grinding your own, 50 pounds lasts a long time.

7. swords75xlh

Apr 28, 2013
    church point La.
    got it there before but I would still grind it maybe I am grinding it for nothing

8. duluthralphie

Interesting, I have never thought of grinding it. I figure the gizzard will grind it, and it serves as grit while being ground. I free range so they get whatever they want for grit, I have just thrown the oyster shells on the ground and when the pile disappears I get another bag, A bag lasts me year, I have 33 hens, 4 roosters, 9 turkeys and 9 guinea that eat off the pile...

I have very sandy soil so I do not have to worry about moisture eroding the pile. I have thought about getting feeder for the shells but as of yet have not got around to it.

9. swords75xlh

Apr 28, 2013
    church point La.
    all I have are caged quail

10. duluthralphie

OOPS Sorry I know nothing about a quail, other than they fly when shot at... and keep flying when I shoot at them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by