1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft Egg Today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    A couple of my girls started laying eggs yesterday. They were eggzactly 20 weeks old yesterday. I got two eggs yesterday and they were hard. Today I get 3 eggs and they are hard. I just went out to shut their pop door for the night and I find a 4th egg but it is all soft.

Is this just another pullets first attempt?
    I did change them to laying pellets today. Could this have caused it?

I got eggs, na na nana [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<------I noticed that they are kind of small though. I hope they get bigger. They are all Ideal Sex Links (all the colors) and they are advertized as laying large brown eggs

Quote:

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    When my buff orps first started laying, they had nice hard eggs, then a few days later, soft eggs...then the next were fine.. once in awhile I'll get a soft one, but it's pretty rare now.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't worry about a single soft shell egg. Before too long and especially if you layer feed doesn't have alot of calcium you'll want to start those girls on some oyster shell.
    And yes, mjd, the eggs get bigger.

4. ashera

ashera Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    I have a ever changing flock with different age groups, and before you know it, those small eggs will be a thing of the past. It is always fun to see the first eggs that have been layed next to the older hens'. Infact we saved our first ever egg layed as a reminder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by