Soft egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kt, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kt

kt New Egg

Mar 5, 2009
    We just received our first egg! However, it was very soft. Any suggestions on why or what we can do to help?

2. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Post what you are feeding your egg layer at this time.
    and wait a few days to see if the next ones are soft or regular. It is my understanding through recent experience that it happens occasionally in the beginning.

3. kt

kt New Egg

Mar 5, 2009
    Thank you for the prompt reply. We are feeding laying mash and cracked corn.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would add some oyster shell to their food. Sometimes when they are just beginning to lay, you will get a soft egg, or a very tiny egg.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Cracked corn should be pretty limited, really more of a treat... oyster shell can just be left in a pan/dish/bin as a free choice, they'll eat as much as they want-need. Odd how they do that I suppose, they just seem to know!

6. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Also, recycle their own egg shells and any store bought egg shells back to them to eat. I always break mine down to almost pebble size so that they won't ever look at a solid egg in the nest box as a treat and start pecking their own eggs for calcium.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Bah! Those solid heavy roundish things in their nests aren't anything like rocky-rolly-thin-flaky things that wobble when you peck them that are mixed in with the kitchen scraps. I've never crushed em up except by accident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by