Soft Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenmore, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I have found 2 very soft very light brown eggs on poop boards.....Im trying to figure out who is doing this so I can watch them closer. I have Black and Golden sexlinks all about 18 weeks or so. Do they both lay the same color egg or are they going to be differnt? This last one I found was a pretty good sized egg (no yolk all whites) not the little ones we have been getting. They are on layer feeed for several weeks now and started oyster shells after finding 1st with no yolk or whites but they dont seem to be using the shells. Any Ideas on how to tell witch one is doing this? Is this a new layer thing or is it signs of that internal laying thing I keep reading about? Plese help dont know what to do [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It is not unusual for new layers to lay soft shelled eggs...or eggs with other imperfections as well. I wouldn't worry at this point.

Also, if you don't think they are eating the oyster shell, you can also try feeding them clean, crushed egg shells or calcium.

3. ChickenLord

ChickenLord Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    The bags of ready mixed chicken feed give an age to begin feeding it to the hens. Think I need to honor that age, or begin feeding laying feed as soon as I see our first egg?

They've just started squatting in the last couple of days, and I've placed oyster shell in the pen so they have access to it if they want. Should that be enough?

Thoughts? Getting into a new phase here, so I need to start learning and fast.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I started them on the layer at about 13 14 weeks. But I have White leghorns which are early layers they are now 18 weeks or so and Im getting eggs from the WLHs and the gold abd black sexlinks. i switched to layer knowing i was about 1 to 2 weeks from them starting and it was 15 days from the switch to our first egg. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by