1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugkiller, Nov 19, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I found a very soft egg in the coop this morning. I was like it was just the membrane around the egg. They are 7mth old bared rock. they have been with me for 4 days now and laying well. what would cause this??

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    sometimes when the hens first learn to lay, it takes a few trys to get it right.
    if it only happens once, then its nothing to worry about. if it happened every day, then thats when you need to get her some more calcium.

Do you supply oyster shells?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    that happend to us once. It was really weird

4. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I am feeding purina layena.

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    maybe it was a first time egg she layed......or may they need oyster shell

6. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:I have only had them for 4 days now but got atleast 1 egg per day. Also not sure what the guy who i bought them from was feeding them.

7. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    If you have only recently acquired them, then maybe the move disrupted them a bit. We had a hawk attack several weeks ago, and one of our girls was taken. Over the next several days, we had all kinds of strange eggs. I think they are creatures of habit, so if they are disturbed in some way it shows in their eggs. If you have some extra shells, you can sterilize them in the microwave and grind them up and feed them back to your chickens. Mine don't like the oyster shell, but they seem to nibble on the sprinkles of egg shells. Plus, I like knowing the entire egg is being used.

8. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I agree with the others, supply oyster shell for them. Usually I get about one shell-less egg a year...it's kind of cool though [​IMG] but nothing to worry about if it only happens rarely! Good luck!

9. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    The only time this has ever happened to us, was from a bird that was getting sick. But I know there are other reasons, like new layers and lack of calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by