Soft Eggs and putting leaves and stick on her back?

flocking-crazy

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
Northern beaches Sydney Australia
Hi BYC members I'm a little worried about one of my girls, She is about 14 months old has been a steady layer, for the last 5 days has laid soft eggs (all broken before i got it) today i noticed somethings really weird... she was putting sticks and leaves on her back, she did this for about 1hr, Any ideas?

Last edited:
No clue on her behaviour but maybe oyster shell could give her a calcium boost and harden the shells?

Ct

Oh gosh - that has me stumped (not that it takes a lot :) )

Hope someone can lend a hand soon.

Ct

Hi BYC members I'm a little worried about one of my girls, She is about 14 months old has been a steady layer, for the last 5 days has laid soft eggs (all broken before i got it) today i noticed somethings really weird... she was putting sticks and leaves on her back, she did this for about 1hr, Any ideas?
How many and what types of chickens do you currently have?

I have 8 girls, they are all isa Browns. She is the top chook in the flock. She is still healthy and happy in appearance and behaviour except her funny actions today... Still trying to upload the video to YouTube. I will link when it uploads

I have no idea, but could that be nesting behaviour? Chucking the leaves onto an (imaginary) nest? What do chickens do in the wild?

I'm sure I've read about or seen this behaviour on video before and it's to do with nest building instinct, but normally it's done in the nesting box or at least in one place rather than wandering around doing it.
She looks healthy enough but the thin shells are a problem. I have a Blue hybrid that lays them and if I don't remove them as soon as they are laid, they get broken and eaten by the next bird that goes in to lay and I have sticky nest boxes and eggs to clean. This has been going on for over a year for me but as she is otherwise healthy and happy and laying eggs, I don't have the heart to cull her. .

Back
Top Bottom