Soft Eggs Even with Oyster Shells??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Aug 26, 2010.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hello. I have a Bantam Cochin girl who has laid 2 eggs so far. The first was fine. The second was smashed in the coop and the shell was very pliable. All of the chickens have plenty of oyster shell available. For feed, they also get: layer pellets, a 4-grain "treat" and all of the scraps and greenery from my garden and compost. What's the problem and how do I strengthen her eggs?

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Don't start panicking for at least a week. She is a new layer her body needs to adjust not all get it right the 1st week

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It's not uncommon for new layers to lay soft shelled eggs. Keep oyster shell available and it will straighten out.

4. Chickendummy

Chickendummy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi, I'm new to keeping chickens myself. Much to my surprise they do lay soft-shelled eggs. Mine even layed one with no shell, which really worried me. I have 4NH reds. I just guessed that the soft shells had something to do with their physical maturity. Give them time and their little systems will right themselves. I'm not a vet, this is just my own supposition.

I have a photo on my BYC page of one of the soft shelled eggs. Sounds like you're feeding exactly what I feed mine. I have heard that too much oyster shell is bad for their bones.

All the best,

CD.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Once chickens reach about 16 weeks of age it is adviseable to keep oyster shell available for them to eat as they want. They will not consume more than they need.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Give them time to mature and to figure out what oyster shell is. They'll eat it when they need the calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by