1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dollie 1, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Dollie 1

Dollie 1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Can any-one help us we keep getting at less one soft egg a day,does any one have any idea on what we can do

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Try some Human Caltrate pills. These contain all the ingredients needed for a hen to process and use calcium. I have used these for years on old hens or hens with troubles laying soft or yolks with just membranes on them.

Cut a Caltrate pill in half. (you can use the generic form as well, same stuff). You are going to give her a half a pill a day. Break this half into smaller pieces yet and stuff them into raisins. She will never know she is being medicated and think she is getting a treat each day. After about 2 days, she should be putting on a hard shell. Keep up with her Caltrate daily. When you start see a LOT of tiny calcium bumps on the shell, you can back down the amount of times a week you give these to her, as she is now getting excess calcium.

If she still can not put a shell on even after a week on the Caltrate, then something may be wrong with her shell gland.

Make sure she is not being bullied away from food and water and if you have to, put out more food and water stations.

Keep us posted! :)

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Fresh water all the time. toss some cat food to them for extra protein and have the oyster shell full.
    Cut back on treats. Free ranging is fine but hold back on the treats.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Let's start with the basics:

How old are your birds and what is their laying history?

What and how exactly are you feeding?

What is your climate? Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

6. Dollie 1

Aug 20, 2015
    C

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. Dollie 1

Aug 20, 2015
    we feed our chickens the layer feed,our chicken wouldn't eat crumble feed or oyster shells

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by