Soft Eggs

TheklaF

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
Northern Virginia
My chickens have been laying for about 3 months now without any problems. I just cleaned the coop and found 2 soft-shelled eggs. I have 5 chickens: 3 Golden Comet and 2 Black Australorp. I know the soft ones are coming from my Australorp (I had 3 perfect ones from my Golden Comets this morning). Could this be normal and they are starting to molt - even though they started laying only 3 months ago?

We free range in addition to their regular laying feed. I always throw oyster shells on the ground in the coop and around the coop.

Any suggestions? Not sure I'm doing everything right but I can't think of anything else to do....

TIA

allymcshop

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
My chickens have been laying for about 3 months now without any problems. I just cleaned the coop and found 2 soft-shelled eggs. I have 5 chickens: 3 Golden Comet and 2 Black Australorp. I know the soft ones are coming from my Australorp (I had 3 perfect ones from my Golden Comets this morning). Could this be normal and they are starting to molt - even though they started laying only 3 months ago?

We free range in addition to their regular laying feed. I always throw oyster shells on the ground in the coop and around the coop.

Any suggestions? Not sure I'm doing everything right but I can't think of anything else to do....

TIA
I give mine plain yogurt three times a week. That did the trick! They don't all eat the oyster shells but they love yogurt.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop

TIA
They shouldn't be molting at that age....but they may slow laying due to the shortening day.
Do they have the feed available 24/7?
Are you feeding any other 'treats'?

TheklaF

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
Northern Virginia
They have feed available 24/7. I'm giving them a handful of scratch during the day and some leftovers every now and then. It's only one of my hens who has this problem - all the other eggs are fine. :hmm

Deannak63

Chirping
Sep 5, 2018
Northern Minnesota
I just had the same issue. I’m thinking it’s one of my Rhode Island Reds (because she sits in the coop window and it was right below that spot—what a mess on the wall). I found it this morning when I opened the coop. Though I didn’t have any out as the shells have been VERY strong, I put some out in a dish for them.

Top Bottom