Soft Eggshell

lkcaffery

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Right now my only two girls that are laying are my EE and my Salmon Favorelles. I've noticed that the eggs/eggshells from the Salmon Favroelles are much thinner than those of my EE. Two times within the past couple of weeks I've gotten an egg from her with a crack in it. Then, today I found this egg in the picture. It feels almost like a water balloon but it was not cracked in any way. My girls always have oyster shell, although I do not have to refill it often. What is going on and what should I do?

Are they fairly new at laying? My pullets did this on and off for about 2 months before their systems got it right. My girls are on layer pellets and I offer them both crushed oyster shell and crushed egg shells. They prefer the crushed egg shells.

If they're new layers, give them some time and they'll figure it out.

Yes, I am feeding them layer feed and have been since August. The Salmon Favorelles has been laying have been laying for about a month now, maybe 3 weeks. I suppose the other possibility is that this egg could actually be the first egg from the Buff Orpington hen, but it was laid in the same place the SF always lays and since I know she has had thin eggshells prior to this, I assume it was the SF.

If you are providing a good feed, fresh water, sunshine and offer a calcium supplement if you feel the need, then nature has to take it's course. Once we've done everything, as the flock keeper we can, then the rest is up to nature.

Do this long enough and we all come across a hen, here or there, who has "issues". They are imperfect little creatures, of course.

Give her the best you can, give her some time, and the rest is up to her.

Thanks all. Seems like I should not be concerned. My four girls are very well cared for - fresh food and water daily, calcium supplement available, and they free range for about 3 to 5 hours a day. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day she'll be back to more "normal" eggs.

I do agree that it is probably a new layer. That is usually what happens for the first week or so. Keep us posted and good luck :)

I've got a RIR that has been laying eggs like this for 5.5 months! I've tried everything but just noticed today that she's molting...seems like mine take 3+ months to get through it. They get plenty of protein, free-range several hours at least each day, and high protein 'treats". Also they have plenty of calcium in their diet. It was suggested that I cull her but I am hesitant until the molt is complete. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom