Soft half eggs

Viksceeks

Songster
May 5, 2019
Eastern WA
Anyone ever seen this before? I've had soft eggs, but never half eggs. Let alone 2, both with yokes.
Is this from being egg bound?
20190924_193317.jpg

There are three eggs. Were they all laid within the same 25 hour cycle? Even two, half eggs or whole, are more than is good. More than one egg in a cycle can cause them to be thin shelled or shell less. This increases the danger of one rupturing inside the hen. Then you're facing the possibility of infection from bacteria growing in the ruptured yolk.

The best treatment is calcium citrate each day until these abnormal eggs are replaced with a single normal egg per cycle. I use calcium citrate from Walmart around 600mg, give or take, plus vitamin D3. Pop the pill right into the beak. She will swallow it.

Several hens in my flock have had the problem of two eggs in one cycle, and the calcium helped to reset their egg cycle back to just the single egg.

There are three eggs. Were they all laid within the same 25 hour cycle? Even two, half eggs or whole, are more than is good. More than one egg in a cycle can cause them to be thin shelled or shell less. This increases the danger of one rupturing inside the hen. Then you're facing the possibility of infection from bacteria growing in the ruptured yolk.

The best treatment is calcium citrate each day until these abnormal eggs are replaced with a single normal egg per cycle. I use calcium citrate from Walmart around 600mg, give or take, plus vitamin D3. Pop the pill right into the beak. She will swallow it.

Several hens in my flock have had the problem of two eggs in one cycle, and the calcium helped to reset their egg cycle back to just the single egg.
The hard shelled egg was likely laid by a different hen. I had to take the picture quick because she was trying to eat the eggs lol

That is fascinating!
Nope, never seen it.
How old are these birds, in weeks?
If new layers, am betting it's just a start up glitch...no treatment needed.

That is fascinating!
Nope, never seen it.
How old are these birds, in weeks?
If new layers, am betting it's just a start up glitch...no treatment needed.
They're about 25 weeks. She's not a new layer, once a day until about a week ago she stopped. That's why I feared she was egg bound. I know for certain it was one particular hen because she was sitting on them, still warm and not dried yet

They're about 25 weeks. She's not a new layer, once a day until about a week ago she stopped. That's why I feared she was egg bound. I know for certain it was one particular hen because she was sitting on them, still warm and not dried yet
So she's been laying for how many weeks?
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom