Soft, Rubbery Shells

dennyb

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2013
My 21 week RIR's finally started laying. I have no way of telling which of the four are laying which eggs. First 4 or 5 eggs were hard shelled, next three were soft, rubbery shelled. All hens supposedly hatched on same date, but a couple appear to be more immature than the others. Will a less mature hen lay a soft shell egg as its first or will any hen for that matter lay first a soft shelled egg? I am adding oyster, shell to their feed. Any advice would be appreciated.

It is normal for new layers of any age to lay the odd soft shelled or otherwise odd egg. Their eggs' quality will improve as they lay more and work out the kinks in their reproductive systems.

I hatched 6 chickens from eggs in an incubator, 3 turned out to be cockerels and went to a nearby farm. My chickens started laying eggs 6 days ago, I'm not sure who is laying, the first one was very small but fine, the second was huge and had a double yolk, day 3 was very small but ok and day 4 was the same. Day 5 the egg had a very soft shell and today there are two what look like egg yolks in the coop but no shells to be seen. Not sure if this is the normal course of events? Things were looking good, but it seems its all petered out now. Maybe they're just sorting themselves out. Do I need to give them anything apart from layers pellets, cabbage leaves, nectarines and the odd strawberry or two? They always have access to water and food during the day.

That sounds normal for new layers. I've had new layers lay tiny pullet eggs with undeveloped or no yolks one day and a monster double yolk egg next. Just make sure to keep the treats to no more than 10% of their daily food intake.

Back
Top Bottom